The Solution to Recycling Polypropylene
The thermoplastic polypropylene is among the most popular polymers used in packaging materials worldwide because of its resistance to different chemical solvents, acids and bases. Despite this, with approximately 99% currently heading for landfill, polypropylene is one of the least recycled plastics.
Polypropylene is considered a potentially sustainable resource due to the relative ease of recycling polypropylene and its resistance to thermal degradation. These characteristics as well as the huge quantities of PP that is currently discarded offer a huge opportunity for the recycling industry.
In the past recycling polypropylene was considered uneconomically viable, however with changes in technology, government policy and global oil prices things have changed. To see more about how people are making a huge financial return by reprocessing PP in a Rotajet recycling line please see the process flow below.
- RJ-FH12-TW – Material is loaded in batches into a Rotajet feed hopper which is fitted with a inverter driven screw to provide consistent feed to the plant. This multi-screw system avoids bridging and blockages remotely by adjusting the direction and speed of the screw augers, reducing machine downtime and improving your overall throughput rate.
- RJ-PWS-75 – The material is fed from the hopper into the Rotajet pre-washer to remove the majority of the contamination. This efficient incline plastic washer is fitted with inline filtration and automatic chemical dosing.
- RJ-HKS-50 – A Rotajet sink-float is then used to separate the polypropylene from contaminants such as ABS, PVC, PET, Glass, Metals and others. The sinking fraction is screwed to bagging off for disposal whilst the floating fraction is transferred into the next stage.
- RJ-GR – This powerful wet granulator ensures an even particle size so your final product is suitable for resale into the market. Durable and efficient, our granulators are completely welded and have a heavy steel construction making them capable of withstanding the most demanding requirements present in the industry.
- RJ-MD-55 – This horizontal mechanical dryer is the most efficient way of dewatering granulated and shredded plastics. Our mechanical dryers can reduce moisture levels for rigid plastics down to around 1%. The machine is fitted with a Rotor which rotates at high speed (approx. 1450rpm). To ensure our dryers are simple to maintain, the rotor is fitted with easy to change wear paddles manufactured from D2 steel.
- RJ-DB-ZZ – Finally a zig-zag separator is used to remove any remaining fines, ensuring a product quality suitable for extrusion.
To get advice about how this system can be installed at your facility get in touch with our technical team on the link below and we will be in touch.